[Insight-users] Nasty bug in Canny level set + another nasty bug??

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 16 15:25:52 EST 2005

Hello,

I think I've discovered another problematic bug in the ITK level sets
implementation. In answering Hiraki Hideaki's question about whether
the advection direction problems were the result of whether inside
values were assumed to be positive or negative (it's not; see below), I
think I found a problem with ReverseExpansionDirection().

Now, the advection direction is uninfluenced by whether the "inside" of
the level set is assumed to be the positive or negative values of the
phi function. One can verify this by referring to the figures I made (
http://www.stanford.edu/~zpincus/GeodesicLevelSet.pdf and
http://www.stanford.edu/~zpincus/CannyLevelSet.pdf ) and noting that
nowhere does the question of "which side is inside" come into play. The
Geodesic case works and the Canny case does not regardless of your
convention of positive and negative.

You can also verify this by inverting the input level sets in the test
examples I provided and noting that they have the exact same behavior
to the un-inverted version. When advection is considered alone, apart
from propagation, the question of inside versus outside isn't relevant:
the only matter of importance is which way the zero-level set moves
with respect to image edges.

However, calling ReverseExpansionDirectionOn() on the level set filter
"fixed" the problem, which puzzled me, since in my test examples I had
set the propagation coefficient to zero, so which way the expansion
direction is set should have no influence. I investigated, and found
that this function causes the advection term to be negated.

I believe this behavior is entirely incorrect. As above, the advection
direction is entirely decoupled from whether the inside is assumed
positive or negative. The speed image (and hence the "expansion"
direction) is *not* decoupled from this assumption. Thus, to reverse
the expansion direction, it is correct to negate the propagation
coefficient, but it is *not* correct to negate the advection
coefficient. Negating the advection coefficient ONLY serves to drive
the zero-level set away from edges (provided the advection image is
properly defined!)

I thus strongly believe that this is a second nasty bug in the ITK
level sets implementation. ReverseExpansionDirectionOn() called on the
level set segmentation filter (which causes ReverseExpansionDireciton()
of the level set function object to be called) should not cause the
advection term to be negated.

As such, lines 24 - 30 of itkSegmentationLevelSetFunction.txx should be
changed from:

template <class TImageType, class TFeatureImageType>
void SegmentationLevelSetFunction<TImageType, TFeatureImageType>
::ReverseExpansionDirection()
{
   this->SetPropagationWeight( -1.0 * this->GetPropagationWeight() );
   this->SetAdvectionWeight( -1.0 * this->GetAdvectionWeight() );
}

template <class TImageType, class TFeatureImageType>
void SegmentationLevelSetFunction<TImageType, TFeatureImageType>
::ReverseExpansionDirection()
{
   this->SetPropagationWeight( -1.0 * this->GetPropagationWeight() );
}

Zach