[Insight-users] liver vessel segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Feb 18 02:12:12 EST 2005

Hi Rodolfo,

If the blood vessels are at least 5 pixels in diameter in
your images you could use the CURVESLevelSetImageFilter.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1NarrowBandCurvesLevelSetImageFilter.html

Implemented from:

   L. Lorigo, O. Faugeras, W.E.L. Grimson, R. Keriven, R. Kikinis,
   A. Nabavi, and C.-F. Westin,

   "Curves: Curve evolution for vessel segmentation."
    Medical Image Analysis, 5:195-206, 2001

Otherwise you may consider computing the Hessian of the image and
tracking along the direction of the minimal Hessian eigen-value.

As in

    "Ridges in Image and Data Analysis"
    by David Eberly

and

   "Initialization, noise, singularities, and scale in height ridge
     traversal for tubular object centerline extraction"

    Aylward, S.R.; Bullitt, E.;

    Medical Imaging, IEEE Transactions on  ,
    Volume: 21 , Issue: 2 , Feb. 2002
    Pages:61 - 75

This is illustrated in 2D in the ITK Application:

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/Curve2DExtraction.htm