[Insight-users] how to free up the memory

Quan Chen quanchen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:00:13 EST 2005

Hi, I am doing some CT segmentation and run into in-sufficient memory
problem.  I did a lot of pre-processing and use a lot of filters.  Those
filters connected to form a pipeline.  However, since my CT image is pretty
big, it quickly depleted my 2G memory and prevent me from proceed with my
pipeline.  I am wondering can I delete the memory allocated by the filter I
used in the previous steps?  I already invoked Update() function in the
middle of the pipeline and got the intermediate result, so it shouldn't
affect the running of the rest of the pipeline.

Another problem that I encountered before, which might also relate to this
memory allocate/free problem.   BTW, I normally modify the sample
applications with GUI, such as GeodesicActiveContour.  I find that everytime
when I load a new image (which have dimension different from the previously
loaded image), the load itself is ok but when I update the subsequent filter
to perform processing, the program will exit abnormally.  I am wondering if
it is because some filters will allocate the necessary memory when it first
execute but don't check if the input image dimension has changed.

Here is the error message in command window:

ITK exception caught in main

itk::InvalidRequestedRegionError (0142F904)
Location: "Image::PropagateRequestedRegion()"
File: C:\newITK\itksource\InsightToolkit-1.8.0\Code\Common\itkDataObject.cxx
Line: 397
possib
le region.

Press any key to continue