[Insight-users] Reading DICOM time series study

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Jul 11 08:45:12 EDT 2005

I don't think it is not a limitation of the dicom image reader. You need
to do that with your code.

You could for instance read all the dicom series in the directory and
use the JoinSeriesImageFilter to create a 4D image from the 3D images
you just read. It is not a limitation of the dicom reader because a
dicom file is  a 2D file. So the ImageSeriesReader which passes the set
of filenames to the GDCMImageIO has to be instantiated over an image of
dimension 2+1.

You could do something like
    const SeriesIdContainer & seriesUID = nameGenerator->GetSeriesUIDs();
    SeriesIdContainer::const_iterator seriesItr = seriesUID.begin();
    SeriesIdContainer::const_iterator seriesEnd = seriesUID.end();
    while( seriesItr != seriesEnd )
      {
      seriesReader->SetFileNames( nameGenerator->GetFileNames(
seriesItr->c_str() ) );
      seriesReader->Update();
      joinSeriesFilter->SetInput( i++, seriesReader->GetOutput() );
      seriesItr++;
      }

my4DImage = joinSeriesFilter->GetOutput();

Thanks
karthik