[Insight-users] RE: Multi-resolution + MI + Evolutionary Optimizer

Erik Harg Erik.Harg at idi.ntnu.no
Wed Jul 13 11:17:05 EDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Li, George (NIH/NCI) wrote:

> Hi, itk users and developers:
>
> I have done some multi-resolution image registration using Mattes
> matrix and
> 1+1Evolutionary optimizer. In the file That records all of the
> intermediate
> metric values, it shows That the metric value consistently goes
> down within
> each Pyramid level. However, it goes up between these levels,
> Consistently.
> There seems something unexpected.

Hi George. I believe these are both valid and expected results. I was
also
wondering about this behaviour in my own program a few months ago, but
after thinking it over, I found out that is actually quite logical,
and due to the
nature of the Mutual Information-based metric.
That the Mutual Information value decreases suddenly when you go from
one
pyramid level to the next is natural. The images contain more
information
(have higher entropy) at the lower pyramid levels. This is likely to
give a lower
MI value for the two images, as there are just more pixels, with more
differences,
to be used in the calculation. This is, as far as I can see, just an
indication that the
multi-resolution approach is working.

--
Erik Harg