[Insight-users] Re: Insight-users Digest, Vol 15, Issue 37

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at bwh.harvard.edu
Sun Jul 17 19:17:45 EDT 2005

Hi Yasser,

I think you need to explain more how you want segment the IBSR (Internet
Brain Segmentation Repository) data.
Do you want to use gradient information or do you want to enhance the
images? I don't really understand what your question is.
I'll try and give an answer anyway.

You can read about the Smoothing filters in chapter "6.7.1 Blurring" of
the ITK Software guide. There are several examples with code in the
directory "InsightToolkit-2.0.1/Examples/Filtering/".
If you want to calculate the gradient, maybe you want do some smoothing.
You can do this by first smoothing the image and then calculating the
gradient or you can directly convolve the image with a derivative of a
gaussian (e.g. itkRecursiveGaussianImageFilter
<http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RecursiveGaussianImageFilter.html>).

Chapter "6.7.3 Edge preserving Smoothing" describes the edge preserving
smoothing operations, such as anisotropic diffusion. This will smooth
the areas with small gradient and preserve or enhance the area with high
gradient (i.e. the edges).

-
Bryn