[Insight-users] Wrapping compilation problem in Windows.

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jul 25 14:18:01 EDT 2005

William A. Hoffman wrote:
> The problem is that visual studio 6 does not like too many custom commands in a dsp file.
> The "fix" is to use the nmake generator with visual studio 6.  You will have to either
> have visual studio installed such that it can be run from the command line or run the
> visual studio shell. Then run Cmake from an environment where cl can compile c++ code.
> The generator you want to pick is "NMake Makefiles".
[snip]
>>I have compiled CVS version of ITK with Visual Studio 6.0. This built was made without wrapping, but now I need Tcl Wraping. The problem is that the following error message arises when I try to compile:
>>
>>Building wrap_itkInPlaceImageFilter_BTcl.cxx from
>>wrap_itkInPlaceImageFilter_BTcl.cxx.rule
>>Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

We have nightly testing of wrapping on VS 6 and it is currently passing
(starting with an empty build tree each night):

http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/dash13.kitware/Win32-vs60/20050725-0100-Nightly/Notes.html
http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/dash13.kitware/Win32-vs60/20050725-0100-Nightly/BuildError.html

VS 6 has many quirks and one of them has to do with running alot of
custom commands for a single build.  It is not just the number of
commands, but the total length of all command lines.  Try building in a
source/build tree that does not have a long path.  Check the first link
above to see the length of a pair of paths that are working.

-Brad