[Insight-users] point cloud registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 27 22:18:02 EDT 2005

Hi Dennis,

I would suggest you to use only the points
from the triangular mesh, unless the triangles
are very large compared to the density of points
in the other set.

If the density of points in the other set is
higher then you may want to apply subdivision
on the triangular mesh in order to bring both
meshes to similar densities.

In practice, it all depends on the shape of
the triangular mesh and the point cloud.
If they have fairly characteristic shapes,
you may be able to register them using ICP
despite the difference in point density.

If you really really really want to use the
mesh information, you can first rasterize
the mesh (assuming that it is a closed surface),
and compute the signed distance to the binary
mask that results from the rasterization.
Then you use that Distance map and the point
cloud as the two datasets to be registered.