[Insight-users] about out of heap space when compiling ITKapplication

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 28 19:46:41 EDT 2005

Hi Yixun,

The origin of your problem is item 3 of
your answers:

    You are *not* using CMake
    for configuring your project.

Please use CMake for the configuration,
you will find detailed instructions on
how to create the CMakeLists.txt files
in the ITK Tutorials

 http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

and in the ITK Software Guide

 http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

FLTK and VTK can also be configured with CMake.

If you download FLTK version 1.1.6, you will find
that it already has its own CMakeLists.txt file.

Most of the applications in InsightApplications
work with ITK, VTK and FLTK and are configured
without problems with CMake.

The Tutorials also show how to combine
ITK with VTK

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

and ITK with FLTK or Qt

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-IV.pdf

There are *good reasons* why CMake was created.

The problem that you are facing is just one example
among many of how annoying is to configure a project
by hand.  Such an effort is not worth your time.

If you were using CMake from the beginning at this
point you would have been processing Medical Images
instead of playing with the little text boxes of
the Visual Studio IDE...