[Insight-users] which algo best suits?

Gavin Baker gavinb+xtk at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 29 06:15:18 EDT 2005

Hello Suresh,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:47:29AM +0530, Suresh G N wrote:

> I have 2 image volumes. I need to find out two slices which exactly matches
> each other from 2 volumes. Which algorithm best suits my application please
> help me. I tried many combinations.

You really need to read the ITK Software Guide - it contains a great deal of
explanation and code on medical image processing.  You seem to be describing
a registration problem, but there is no "best" algorithm - the choice of
algorithm is dependent on many factors (and you provide no details of your
problem for anyone to guess).  Understanding the registration process will
put you in a better position to choose algorithms, metrics, interpolators
and optimizers.  It will also invariably require a certain amount of
experimentation.

Registration is covered in great detail in Chapter 8 of the guide, although
you really need to read the earlier sections to learn how to use the
fundamental aspects of ITK (such as File I/O, transforms, filters and so
on).

You can download the ITK Software Guide for free from:

  http://www.itk.org/HTML/Documentation.htm

Or you can purchase the book from the Kitware store:

  http://www.kitware.com/products/itkguide.html

The investment of your time reading the guide will be repayed many times
over.  Once you have read the guide and followed the tutorials, you will be
in a much better position to ask focused questions on your problem.

Don't forget the tutorials and FAQ on the website, and the extensive example
programs in the ITK source distribution.

Enjoy ITK!  Regards,

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker                                      Complex Systems Group
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb             The University of Melbourne