[Insight-users] itk python wrapper quality is far from itk c++ quality

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Mar 7 10:20:52 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use ITK in python, and I must say it's really hard
for several reasons :

+ lots of filters are missing (for example, most of morpho filters,
IntensityWindowingImageFilter, ...)
+ somes filters simply don't works. For example,
itkRescaleIntensityImageFilter don't support SetInput (!)
+ One of the wonderfull feature of python is to be able explore
attributes. With ipython, we can complete attributes name with <tab> like
bash completion. This make prototyping really easier. With ITK, I just get
an error message when hitting TAB to complete the name of an attribute.
The naming policy produce a large number of name (120 different names for
itkRescaleIntensityImageFilter for example). This large amount of names
makes completion difficult to use.
+ Simple array-like objetcs like Size, Index, ... don't use python
interface. They can't be accessed with index[0] = value and there is no
automatic conversion from python array or tuple object to those ones.
+ help function list attributes but not doc of attributes
+ How can we use colored image ?
+ ...

Make all classes avaible and make it work seems to be the minimal things
to do.
I tried to fix some problems (missing filters for the moment) but the
lacks of documentation make it really hard.
Why is there BasicFilters A and B ?
All filters have not the same types avaible. How types are choosed for a
given filter ?
How inheritance is managed ?

   Gaetan.

--