[Insight-users] DICOMParser, GDCM?

Roxana Racz itkroxyracz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 14:04:08 EST 2005

Hi all!

I have to do an  aplication , that  must be able to register volumes having different orientations.

For reading the series of DICOM images I tried both libraries : DICOMParser, gdcm

Between the 2 libraries I observed the following difference regarding the computation of normal used to sort the files by Image Position Patient

- in DICOMParser: file DICOMAppHelper.cxx ,functionGetImagePositionPatientFilenamePairs,  line 2244 :
          normal[1] = ((*sn_iter).second.ImageOrientationPatient[0]
*(*sn_iter).second.ImageOrientationPatient[5])
 -
((*sn_iter).second.ImageOrientationPatient[2]*
(*sn_iter).second.ImageOrientationPatient[3]);

- in gdcm :  file gdcmHeaderHelper.cxx, function ImagePositionPatientOrdering(), line 184 :
          normal[1] = cosines[2]*cosines[3] - cosines[0]*cosines[5];

This difference influence the coordinate system of the resulting image volume.
How is correct?

I want to use itkOrientImageFilter to bring all the volume to a single coordinate system.This filter has to know the coordinate system of the input image.

The question I have is : How can I found out the coordinate system of the image I get from the reader in both cases : when I use DICOMParser and when I use gdcm  ? (in both cases I want  the files to be read  ascending , by Image Position Patient)

I use itk 2.0

Thank you in advance!
Roxana

http://mail.yahoo.com