[Insight-users] Problem with ITK compilation using ICC

Chris Farmer cfarmer at scitegic.com
Thu Nov 3 14:18:14 EST 2005

Hi.  I've just started porting a simple ITK-based application to Linux
(RedHat 8), and I'm having some problems using the Intel icc compiler
(version 8.0). Our main application (of which the ITK part is a small
subset) is built with icc, so I want to continue to use this compiler.

I used cmake and set the c and c++ compilers to icc and icpc.  I made no
other changes to my default configuration.  When I try to run make, the
following error occurs:

Building object file vnl_copy.o...
/InsightToolkit-2.2.0/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/vnl_c_vector.h(36): error
#77: this declaration has no storage class or type specifier
  export template <class T>

I tried setting the "-cxxlib-gcc" compatibility flag, and that seemed to
work for the specific case above, but I got a seemingly identical error
downstream:

/InsightToolkit-2.2.0/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/algo/vnl_fft_prime_factors.
h(24): error #77: this declaration has no storage class or type
specifier
  export template <class T>

I've seen a couple other semi-related issues in the archives, but the
solution doesn't seem to jump out at me.  Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Chris