[Insight-users] re: triangular mesh generation, and a mesh within a mesh

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 11:47:13 EST 2005

mrcheung at mdanderson.org wrote:

>I have a binary (black and white) dataset of a prostate. Is there a ITK
>routine that could be used to generate a mesh ?

The BinaryMask3DMeshSource generates a mesh (surface) from a binary
image using Marching cubes. See
Examples/Segmentation/DeformableModel1.cxx
Filtering/SurfaceExtraction.cxx

>In addition, the prostate has an urethra passing through it, and I could
>generate a binary dataset for that. Is there an ITK routine that allows
>generation of a mesh within a mesh ?

I don't really understand the question here. You are generating a
separate binary dataset; So you could generate a mesh for that. And you
could view both of them simultaneously, since VTK allows multiple
renderers to draw into a single RenderWindow.