[Insight-users] GetLargestPossibleRegion() and GetBufferedRegion()

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Nov 14 06:45:23 EST 2005

Hi Andrew,

Please read the ITK Software Guide

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

where the difference between the regions
is explained in detail.

---

In summary:

* LargestPossibleRegion is the total size of the image

* BufferedRegion is the portion of the image that is
                  currently loaded in memory
* RequestedRegion is the portion that the pipeline
                  request from a filter at the moment
                  of execution.

If you are writing a filter, you should only generate
the RequestedRegion.

If you are planning to visit pixels with Image Iterators
you should use *at most* the BufferedRegion

If you are computing features from the entire image
geometry, then you should use the LargestPossibleRegion.

The concepts of these three regions are closely related
to streaming.