[Insight-users] better not use image pyramid?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Nov 27 08:23:17 EST 2005

Hi Grace,

You can use the pyramids for 3D registration.

There is nothing wrong about it.

The reason why the example in 3D is not using
the pyramid is that the example is intended to
be very simple.

The fact that you attempted to use the pyramid
and didn't performed better, just doesn't mean
anything.

This anecdotic information is useless. Saying
that you try something once, and it didn't work
is not a technical way of reporting a problem.

In order to be useful, Your report should mention
details such as:

1) Image modality

2) Image size

3) Components in your registration framework
    3.1) Optimizer
    3.2) do you use a Transform initializer ?
    3.3) What Transform are you using

4) How many levels did you set in your pyramid

5) What parameters did you set up on ever level.

6) When you say that it "performed worsely"

    what do you mean ?

    6.1) it did not converged ?
    6.2) it did converged but took longer ?
    6.3) it converged but the images are still
         misaligned ?

Please be more specific when you report problems.

It is very dangerous to generalize ad-hoc rules
out of anecdotic information. Doing so is more
along the lines of developing superstitions rather
than working in scientific research.

Such practices are fine for publishing papers on
Decadent Journals where author only need to be able
to say that "my method is better than any other one".
This is not acceptable when you really want to solve
problems in image processing.

Please report your experience, with enough amount of
detail for allowing somebody else to reproduce what
you attempted.  Only in this way we can provide you
with useful advice.