[Insight-users] DiscreteGaussianImageFilter Variance Parameter Selection

Jayme Kosior jckosior at ucalgary.ca
Sun Oct 2 16:20:39 EDT 2005

Hello,

I am interested in using the DiscreteGaussianImageFilter to reduce
the noise level in MR images.

If I have a measure of the noise level in a spatial MR image, are
there general existing methods that can be used to properly select
the spatial variance parameter in the DiscreteGaussianImageFilter
using this noise information?

It seems that most literature that I have found does not address this
topic specifically and instead choose something (arbitrarily?) like a
variance of 3 pixels for the Gaussian kernel. Perhaps this is in part
because people are more interested in non-linear filtering techniques
as of late.

Does anyone have any suggested literature references on this topic?

Thank you all.

Jayme