[Insight-users] How to install FLTK

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Oct 4 21:10:37 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 18:31 +0200, Marc Ruiz wrote:
> hi!
>
> I am a new user of itk 2.0.1 and vtk and now I am trying with the
> examples and applications.
>
> I try to install fltk but it doesn't work ( windows xp).
>
> So I'd like to know how to make it runs, step by step.
>
> The main problems I have are:
>
> 1) Which version is better to download?  (Some versions in fltk.org
> don't have CMakelists.txt)

InsightApplications will build fine with fltk 1.1.5 or 1.1.6.
Unfortunately it will not build with FLTK 2.0. ( And it won't for a
while cause of drastic API changes in FLTK )..

To get FLTK 1.1.6 via CVS
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/fltk co -r v1_1_6
fltk

You might need to login first.. check the fltk.org

> 2) Configure the flags with CMake (What have to be on or off...)

FLTK 1.1.6 does not use cmake, it uses autoconf.
FLTK 1.1.5 uses cmake.

For FLTK 1.1.6
Just follow the instructions in the README file in the source tree...

On *nix,
./configure && make && make install

should install the FLTK into /usr/local

On Windows, just open the shebang in the vcnet or visualc folder and
build using the IDE.

> 3) How to generate fluid.exe. It should be generate after build fltk
> with visual c++?  Or I have to build with cmake each directory that
> contains cmakelists.txt?

Ok... if you find CMakeLists.txt its FLTK 1.1.5..
You just need to build the root FLTK source directory..
Create a binary folder, outside the source tree and build with CMake,
Specify the root source folder and the binary folder and you should be
good... maybe you should look at the first chapter on the ITK software
guide, on building using cmake.

> 4) When I have to specify the directories of libraries
>
> Somebody can help me?

Doesn't the tooltip help you when you build with CMake ? it should tell
you,

"The directory where foo.lib can be found ? "