[Insight-users] tunning parameters for canny edge detection and hough transform

arctic sliver arcticsliver02 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 09:47:27 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to apply ITK for a small project with robot vision. Essentially,
I'm taking a snapshot of a box with a certain silhouette with a digital
camera and i'm trying to classify the type of silhouette in that insert. The
silouettes are white and the box is black, so I've used a binary threshold
and obtained a pretty accurate white on black image.

I'm trying to use the canny filter, but can't seem to get the results i'm
after. i think there's too much noise in the image, as i'm getting random
lines all over the place as well as the outline of the shape. I've actually
tried this tool : http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/HIPR2/cannydemo.htm with
my image and it detects the exact edge i want.

Can anyone please point out where i can get information about tuning the
parameters? the website i saw mentioned several tuning parameters for the
canny filter, but with ITK, i have only seen the SetThreshold function as a
parameter. In the end, i'd like to use hough transform to detect the image.
the actual silouette looks like this:

_________
| |
______| |