[Insight-users] noise and normalized correlation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Oct 25 00:52:09 EDT 2005

Hi Romain,

The Normalized correlation metric is not partiularly sensitive
to noise in the Fixed and Moving image.

 From just the description of the components that you used it
is difficult to tell what may be the cause of the problem.

Most of the times you are dealing with the need for fine-tuning
the parameters of your application.

In general you want to first solve the registration problem by
using a Rigid transform, and then use that solution for initializing
an Affine transform.

In your partiuclar case, since you seem to be interested in Shearing
but not in scaling, then you should probably consider the use of the
Transform

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ScaleSkewVersor3DTransform.html

You should also connect Observers to your optimizer, as illustrated
in the ITK Software Guide

             http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

and plot the progression of the registration paramters.

This will help you to identify the source of the problem.

You will also fond useful to generate an exploratory plot
of your image metric around the 'optimal' value, so you
can get familiar with the characteristics of the cost
function (the image metric). In that way, you will be
able to stablish whether the image noise significantly
affects the cost function.