[Insight-users] GradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter and LaplacianSegmentation LevelSetImageFilter

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Wed Sep 7 11:27:27 EDT 2005

Ingmar,

Jim Miller and I finally had a chance to look at the problem.

In Feb 2004, itkAnisotropicDiffusionFunction.h was changed to correct a bug. The SetConductanceParameter method was changed. Prior to the change, the passed in conductance was squared. This was incorrect and was fixed with this change. We suspect that this was the cause of your differences.

Since your conductance (1.5) the new code is essentially using a smaller diffusion. Can you try passing in 1.5*1.5 as a conductance parameter and see if this fixes the problem?

But I am still puzzled why your change gave good results. Are they exactly the same?

On a related note, there is a bug in itkAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter. If the m_ConductanceScalingUpdateInterval is not 1, the logic for the Gradient computation is flawed. None of our examples or tests set this value.

Bill