[Insight-users] Examples for itk and vtk connection

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Sep 8 19:15:47 EDT 2005

Hi Xiahai,

These are two independent problems.

You can read VTK image file format directly into ITK,
there is not need for you to connect to VTK images unless
you are preprocessing the images with VTK filters.

If you still think that you need to use the VTK-ITK
connection, please look at the tutorials:

http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

in particular to:

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

Example code is available in

     InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
          itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx
          itkReadITKImageSegmentShowVTK.cxx
          itkReadITKImageShowSplineVTK.cxx
          itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx

You will find abundant registration examples in

     Insight/Examples/Registration/

All of which are explained in detail in the ITK Software Guide

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Most of those examples will read images stored in .vtk files.
(as long as the dimension matches ... e.g. 2D-2D or 3D-3D).