[Insight-users] Orientation pb itk/Volview

SCHMID, Jerome jeromeschmid at surgery.cuhk.edu.hk
Mon Sep 12 09:27:12 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am encountering some orientations issues in itk/Volview, I post here even if it is a volview related topic as it deals with itk itself also.

The pb is simple. Let's suppose I work on 2D images for simplicity and that volview is able to load such images.

First I load a raw image in volview with the _default_ orientation options (RAS + anterior + right). The result is as expected: in the axial view the R(ight) part corresponds to the left part of my raw image (the view is flipped thus).

Now in an itk prgm, I use an importImageFilter with the raw data + a writter to Analyze or vtk format. The result is then a file .hdr or .vtk readable in Volview.

If I load this new file in Volview, always with default orientation options, the result is not as previously: the axial view looks like the raw image, which means that actually the image is flipped vertically. >From a visualization viewpoint this could be not a pb, but the  (x,y) coordinates are now "erroneous".

I suspect that the Vtk and Analyse writer sets a kind of default orientation that Volview recognizes.

So here come 2 questions:

- Is there a way to bypass the orientation setting, i.e. the physical origin will be always defined as the bottom-left pt?
- How an itk reader filter will behave with such .hdr and .vtk files? Will it take the raw data or apply some kind of orientation correction due to some orientation setting?

Sorry for the difficult reading but without images it may sound a little unclear.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Jerome