[Insight-users] [Rigid 3D Registration] : Tuning the optimizer and Transform choice ?

Vincent Daanen vincent.daanen at imag.fr
Tue Sep 13 02:27:20 EDT 2005

dear itk-users,

First of all, let's explain the data : MRI volume, 256x256x108 voxels.
The moving volume is the fixed volume transformed by an arbitrary transform.

When this arbitrary transform is a pure translation (-15mm to +15mm in
each direction), registration (multiresolution) works quite well (good
result and about 1,5 mintes) ;
but when it is complex (i.e. rotation (more or less Z dir, -5 to +5
degrees converted in radian + translation), I ran into troubles !

First, the registration process is really long (multiresolution with 2
level) : more than 1 hour.
So I want to tune the optimizer (I'm using VersorRigid3DTransform and
its associated optimizer itk::VersorRigid3DTransformOptimizer).
Yesterday evening, I read the Itk software guide to find explanation
about the optimizer but I did not find what I was searching for :
what are the use and how to set the MaximumStepLength &
MinimumStepLength parameters ?
how to choose the values to have a quick and rather good transform a
coarse level ?

Secondly, which is the best 3D Rigid transform of itk to use ?
Rigid3DTransform, Euler3DTransform, QuaternionRigidTransform,
VersorRigid3DTransform ? and why ?
oh ! btw, what is the difference between QuaternionRigidTransform and
VersorRigid3DTransform ?

 Vince

--
Vincent Daanen, PhD
Research Engineer, Post-Doctoral Position
Vincent.Daanen at imag.fr

"Les problèmes ne peuvent être résolus par
ceux dont l'horizon se limite aux réalités
quotidiennes, mais par ceux qui rêvent de
choses qui n'ont jamais existées et qui se
disent : Pourquoi Pas ?"

J-F Kennedy, 1963.