[Insight-users] MRIBiasFieldCorrection

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Sep 17 21:21:37 EDT 2005

Hi Vincent,

As indicated in the Doxygen documentation

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MRIBiasFieldCorrectionFilter.html

The principles behind this filter are described in the following
articles:

  "Parametric estimate of intensity inhomogeneities applied to MRI"
  Martin Styner, Guido Gerig, Christian Brechbuehler, Gabor Szekely,
  IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING; 19(3),
  pp. 153-165, 2000,
  (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~styner/docs/tmi00.pdf)

  "Evaluation of 2D/3D bias correction with 1+1ES-optimization"
  Martin Styner, Prof. Dr. G. Gerig (IKT, BIWI, ETH Zuerich),
  TR-197
  (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~styner/docs/StynerTR97.pdf)

The filter assumes that the image can be described as a mixture
of classes each one with a particular Mean and Standard Deviation.

The inhomogeneity of the field distort the statistics of the classes,
and therefore the method attempts to restore the consistency of the
classes statistics.

Please let us know if you have any questions after reading the papers.