[Insight-users] Re: [IGSTK-Developers] IEEE Elections & Open Access

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Sun Sep 18 20:00:54 EDT 2005

Hi Ziv,

It would be very interesting to see some of the financials behind the
scenes of IEEE journals and open-access journals.

The numbers that I have are as follows:

1) Publication in IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging is not free for
authors.   There is a suggested charge per page for authors - I believe
the suggested payment is currently $118 per page.   That per-page charge
is mandatory for papers longer than 8 pages.

2) The Insight Journal was developed, up to this point, for free and is
being maintained for free - as are most open-source efforts on
sourceforge, freshmeat, etc.   Julien Jomier and I have volunteered 100s
of hours for the effort.   We work on it nights and weekends - like
tonight - we are both at work.  There is no direct financial
compensation (we are not paid for this work - we do not have a grant for
this work), but I truly think (hope :) ) that there are non-monetary
benefits.  Those non-monetary benefits are what drives most people to
contribute to open source efforts.   I hope that the IJ will demonstrate
that the non-monetary "business" model of open-source will translate to
a successful open-access e-journal.

It is interesting to consider that reviewers and associate editors of
journals such as IEEE TMI aren't paid, yet it is largely the reviewers
that decide the quality of a journal - everyone is familiar with the
concept of trying for one journal and if the reviewers there don't
accept it, trying for a "lessor" journal.   Open access journals have
the potential to benefit from the same (free labor) reviewers as the top
journals.  Perhaps you can even argue that the IJ's reviewers will
actually receive some "benefit" - if the reviewers believe in the same
"business" model that motivates open-source contributions.   The very
visible rating systems being used by the IJ for papers and reviewers is
meant to help us capture the best of the best.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see how the financials ultimately
work out.   The open-source tools available today for e-journal
publication (dspace, insight-journal manager v1.0, php, pgsql, etc) have
greatly reduced the cost/time of ejournal setup and maintenance.

Now the challenge is public acceptance of and participation in
open-access journals.   I am actually not too worried about that
challenge.  If we do our (unpaid) jobs right, it'll succeed.  If it
doesn't succeed for us, I am very confident that someone in the future
will succeed at it.   There is clearly a place for paid journals too.
However, the value added / business model of paid journals is likely to
change.  That discussion is for another night...I've got more IJ reviews
to write :)

Stephen
Associate Editor of IEEE TMI
Associate Editor of The Insight Journal
Constant Reviewer
Rarely an Author :)

PS> As an aside, Kitware does have a grant for the IJ, so some of Luis'
time is covered, but the extensions they are developing for the IJ are
still in Beta - and were only tested last week.   What they are
developing is truly exciting, but nearly everying in the IJ, up until
last week, was from existing open-source efforts (e.g., dspace, php,
etc) and volunteer efforts (90% Julien Jomier).