[Insight-users] gradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 25 12:27:46 EDT 2005

Hi Martin,

This filter performs the equivalent of a Gaussian Smoothing
followed by a gradient operation.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.html

It is not enough to compute the convolution with the derivative
of the Gaussian along one direction because that will not be
consistent with the model above.

As with many other operations in image processing this is a
trade off between memory consumption and computing time. If
memory is a concern, then you may want to use the Gradient
Image filter that computes the gradient using convolution
kernels.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GradientImageFilter.html
Note however that this filter does not perform smoothing...

The Recursive Gaussian is particularly interesting if you
need large Sigmas for your Smoothing and you need high speed.

A couple of speed versus memory analysis have been performed
for the various Gaussian smoothing filters available in ITK.
If you are interested in those analysis, you may want to search
the mailing list archives.

For more details on the theory behind the RecursiveGaussian
filter, you should read the report

"Recursively Implementing The Gaussian and Its Derivatives",
by Rachid Deriche
INRIA, 1993

ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/tech-reports/RR/RR-1893.ps.gz