[Insight-users] How to combine ITK and VTK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Sep 26 11:18:40 EDT 2005

Hi Kalpathi,

Your observation is correct.

ITK is intended to be used for processing and analysis of
medical images. Visualization and geometrical representation
are not supported in ITK. They are in the scope of VTK.

For this reason it is common to build applications combining
both ITK and VTK, so you get the best of both toolkits.

Note that in some cases you will find overlaps in functionalities,
(e.g. you can run a Median filter using any of the two toolkits),
but for the most part ITK and VTK have complementary functionalities.

You may want to look at the tutorials

           http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

in particular to

   " Getting Started II: Using ITK with VTK"
   http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

and the associated source code examples in

      InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
           itkCurvatureFlowToVTK.cxx
           itkPNGVTKtoITKtoVTK.cxx
           itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx*