[Insight-users] itkGDCMImageIO

Martin Urschler martin at urschler.info
Thu Sep 29 09:46:44 EDT 2005

hi all,

i'd like to discuss something that i found in itkGDCMImageIO:

the write method decides depending on the image data type how the dicom
tags bitsAllocated, bitsStored and HighBit are defined

e.g. if an unsigned short image is written, these values are filled
with 16, 16 and 15 respectively

in my case i'm working on 12 bit ct input data that has the dicom
representation 16, 12, 11

if i write my unsigned short result volume again as a dicom, these
values are modified to become 16, 16, 15

now i'm not a dicom expert (who is btw.?) and have no idea on the exact
outcome of this modification for dicom viewers but imho this is an
inconsistent behaviour, i'd like to keep my representation the same as
it is in my input file...

what do you think about this issue?

regards,
Martin