[Insight-users] Circularity and Compactness Measure

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Apr 3 08:22:29 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 19:25 -0500, Matt Kelsey wrote:
> Hello All,
> I need to measure the circularity and compactness of a 2D segmented
> object. To do so, I'd like to compute the radius of the largest possible
> circle that will fit in the shape and the smallest possible that will
> enclose it. Does anyone know of a built-in ITK function that will do this?

The largest medial radius is the smallest possible circle that encloses
your segmentation.

The filter:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryThinningImageFilter.html
will find the skeleton of your 2D shape.

The largest binary ball when centered on the skeletal pixels that has
all pixels inside it "on" is the largest medial radius.

I have no knowledge of algorithms that compute the circumcircle of an
arbitrary shape, but it seems to me that you can approximate that
computing the largest image extents along the x/y axis by rotating it
from 1 through 90 degrees in steps of 1.

-karthik