[Insight-users] Image derivative

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Apr 4 09:18:54 EDT 2006

Hi Moti,

You could use the RecursiveGaussianImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RecursiveGaussianImageFilter.html

in order to compute derivates along a specific direction.

You will find this filter described in the ITK Software Guide

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Note that this filter doesn't use central differences, but
IIR filters.  Central differences is a poor method for computing
derivatives because it focuses on transitions 1-pixel wide, which
make them very susceptible to noise in the image.

Of couse,  you can also fine tune your own derivative operator
as it is explained in the ITK Software Guide, in the Iterators
chapter.