[Insight-users] Problems with Digitally Reconstructed Radiographs

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Apr 4 09:25:23 EDT 2006

Hi Christina,

You must take into account that when generating a DRR,
the scale of the projection depends on the distance of
the volume to the focus of the radiation, and on the
focal distance.

ITK projection calculations are done in real physical
units (eg.mm), so you must use those unit in order to
interpret the results that you are seeing.

Note that you can always fine tune the parameters of the
image grid where you are doing the mapping. (e.g. pixel
spacing of the output image).

About the fact that the image seems to get off center
when you rotate it, this is because the default location
for the center of rotation is the origin of the image
which is the 0,0,0 and it is usually located in a corner
of the image, not the center of the image.

You should use the SetCenter() method in the transform
to be the geometrical center of the image, in order to
get rotations that look natural to you.

You will find a detailed discussion on the issues of
centered transforms and rotations in the ITK Software
Guide:

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

both in the "Image Registration" chapter and in the
section on "Geometrical Transformations".

Please read these two sections before proceeding with
your experiments. Understanding how the transforms
work will save you a lot of time and unnecessary pain.

    Regards

       Luis