[Insight-users] drawing circle on itk image

Martin Urschler martin at urschler.info
Wed Apr 12 08:02:41 EDT 2006

hi

i'm not sure if this is the most straightforward way to do that, but it
should work without large effort, however it takes some computation time
if you have a large volume to fill with a 3D contour

1. create your circle using an itkEllipseObject spatial object
2. voxelize a volume containing a filled circle using the IsInside
method of the spatial object
3. extract the border of the voxelized filled circle using a
morphological operation (e.g. subtraction of an eroded version of the
filled circle)

i'm not aware of a more direct method to specify an initial deformable
contour (perhaps there are some routines in the level set framework?),
but i guess it would be very convenient to write an image source object
for that which simply iterates over an image and for each pixel checks
if it lies on the specified circle

hth
Martin