[Insight-users] Python ITK, minimum and maximum computation : Get a fish and learn to fish

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 13:26:16 EDT 2006

There is also 'plain vanilla' way to do this (without using nice
convenience functions in WrapITK). I'll mention it because it's
always good to know what's going on under the hood. This is: use the
GetMinimum() and GetMaximum() methods of the filter.

How do you find out useful methods like this? Several ways:

(1) Go to the ITK doxygen, e.g.
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classes.html
then look at the class in question:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/
classitk_1_1MinimumMaximumImageCalculator.html
and note it has methods:
GetMinimum() and GetMaximum()

(2) After a while, you'll get a feel for the ITK convention of
accessing any variable that you might want from a class via a 'Get'
method. So you could type:
myfilter.Get[TAB]
in ipython to see what all variables, etc., you can query from the
filter.

(3) If the filter is called MinimumMaximumImageCalculator, you could
even probably guess (once you are familiar enough with the ITK
conventions; it'll come in time) that there ought to be methods
GetMinimum and GetMaximum.

Zach