[Insight-users] Dicom Series Sorting - GDCM

Uday Kurkure ukurkure at uh.edu
Thu Apr 13 16:48:49 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I need help in sorting Dicom series.

In my application, user specifies the folder where dicom files are stored. I
am using gdcmIO library to read the series. I understand that gdcm sorts the
series according to:
1. Image Position (Patient) (0020,0032)
2. Image Number (0020,0013)
3. File Name

In my dicom data header, image position key is blank, so I believe that my
series is being sort according to image number.
This particular aqcuisition is from feet to head. The keys 'image number'
and 'slice location' increase from feet to head.

But I want to sort them such that they are ordered from head to feet. Now,
the quick fix is to flip the series which I don't want to do.

Questions:
1. If user reads data acquired from different centers, how do I make sure
that the series are always ordered from head to feet irrespective of
acquisition order/image number etc.?
2. Also, how can I get all the SOP instance UIDs (ordered) and non-string
keys from gdcm meta dictionary?

Regards,

-Uday