[Insight-users] Bayesian Classifier Initialization filter

Aditya Chandramouli antariksh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 07:42:14 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm working on a project that requires a quick initial segmentation on brain
tissue which will then be refined.

To do this initial segmentation, I've tried the KMeans classification
algorithms in the Statistics package (scalar image as well as the kd-tree
one). Unfortunately both run very slow on 3D images. The tree-based algorithm
takes a very long time to generate the tree (in the order of a few minutes)
whereas the equivalent code in another toolkit (FSL) takes just a few
seconds.

I also tried the new BayesianClassifierInitializationImageFilter which is just
as slow. However, I would like to try out this filter using the Euclidian
distance as membership functions instead of the defaults(Gaussian density
functions) to see if it runs any faster.

Unfortunately, using "custom" membership functions for this filter is not yet
documented in the example code and I've not been able to figure it out on my
own so far.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

thanks

-aditya