[Insight-users] Compiler Settings for using ITK in a VS2005 CLR project

Mike Feur mikefeur_02 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 20:26:22 EDT 2006

Thanks Alireza.  That was a huge help.  You saved me a day or two at least.

Adding the additional dependencies in step 4 below was the key to getting the code to compile.  I still need to write the GUI wrapper (we will probably opt for a C# windows forms) but I think I have it figured out now and will post back if there are some additional problems with steps 7 and 9 from below which I haven't tested yet.

Thanks again,
Mike

alireza akhundi asl <a_akhundi at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Mike
  I had this problem for a long time. to solve this problem you can use these steps:
  1-in your new solution add new class library project ( C#,C++, ...).

  2-in property page of your class lib in c/c++ ->general->additional include directories, add this header files (D:\program files\itk is folder of your built itk):
  "D:\Program Files\itk\Utilities\vxl\core";"D:\Program Files\itk\Utilities\vxl\vcl";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\vxl\core";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\vxl\vcl";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities";"D:\Program Files\itk\Utilities";"D:\Program Files\itk\Utilities\gdcm";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\nifti\znzlib";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\nifti\niftilib";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\expat";"D:\Program Files\itk\Utilities\expat";"D:\Program  Files\itk\Utilities\DICOMParser";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\DICOMParser";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\NrrdIO";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Utilities\MetaIO";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\SpatialObject";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Numerics\NeuralNetworks";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Numerics\Statistics";"D:\Program
 Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Numerics\FEM";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\IO";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Numerics";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Common";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\BasicFilters";"D:\Program Files\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Algorithms";"D:\Program Files\itk";

  3-in linker->general->additional library Directories add path of your itk lib files (again D:\program files\itk is folder of your built itk):
  D:\Program Files\itk\bin\debug

  4-in linker->input->Additional dependencies add this lib files:
  msvcrtd.lib mscoree.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib  kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib ITKBasicFilters.lib ITKCommon.lib ITKIO.lib ITKNrrdIO.lib itkgdcm.lib itkjpeg12.lib itkjpeg16.lib wsock32.lib snmpapi.lib itkpng.lib itktiff.lib itkjpeg8.lib ITKSpatialObject.lib ITKNumerics.lib ITKCommon.lib itkvnl_inst.lib itkvnl_algo.lib itkvnl.lib itkvcl.lib itknetlib.lib itksys.lib ITKMetaIO.lib ITKDICOMParser.lib ITKEXPAT.lib ITKniftiio.lib ITKznz.lib itkzlib.lib

  5-write your function: (my class name is itkclass and the function is iterator and namespace is itk_base)

  // itk_base.h
  #pragma once
  #include "itkImage.h"
  #include "itkRGBPixel.h"
  #include "itkImageRegionIteratorWithIndex.h"
  #include "itkImageFileReader.h"
  #include "itkImageFileWriter.h"
  using namespace System;
  using namespace System::Collections;

  namespace itk_base {
  typedef itk::RGBPixel<unsigned char> RGBPixelType;
  typedef itk::Image<RGBPixelType,2> ImageType;
  typedef itk::ImageRegionIteratorWithIndex<ImageType> IteratorType;
  typedef itk::ImageFileReader<ImageType> ReaderType;
  typedef itk::ImageFileWriter<ImageType> WriterType;
  public ref class itkclass
  {
  // TODO: Add your methods for this class here.
  public:
  static void iterator()
  {
  ImageType::ConstPointer inputImage;
  ReaderType::Pointer reader=ReaderType::New();
  reader->SetFileName("D:\\Program Files\\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\\Examples\\Data\\BrainProtonDensitySliceShifted13x17y.png");
  reader->Update();
  inputImage=reader->GetOutput();
  ImageType::Pointer outputImage = ImageType::New();
   outputImage->SetRegions( inputImage->GetRequestedRegion() );
  outputImage->CopyInformation(inputImage);
  outputImage->Allocate();
  ImageType::IndexType requestedIndex =outputImage->GetRequestedRegion().GetIndex();
  ImageType::SizeType requestedSize =outputImage->GetRequestedRegion().GetSize();
  IteratorType outputIt( outputImage, outputImage->GetRequestedRegion() );
  for ( outputIt.GoToBegin(); !outputIt.IsAtEnd(); ++outputIt)
  {
  ImageType::IndexType idx = outputIt.GetIndex();
  idx[0] = requestedIndex[0] + requestedSize[0] - 1 - idx[0];
  outputIt.Set( inputImage->GetPixel(idx) );
  }
  }
  };
  }

  6-add new windows form application project to your solution:

  7-in property page of your  windows form application in c/c++ ->general->Resolve #using References add the path of the dll that is built in your class lib for example in my case : F:\myexamples\debug ( isupposed that you are using C++ )

  8-for example add a button and use function in this form:

  private: System::Void button1_Click(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e) {
  itkclass::iterator();
  }

  9- dont forget to add #using <itk_base.dll> in your windows form's header file.
  for example:

  #pragma once
  #using <itk_base.dll>
  namespace test {
  using namespace System;
  using namespace System::ComponentModel;
  using namespace System::Collections;
  using namespace System::Windows::Forms;
  using namespace System::Data;
  using namespace System::Drawing;
  using namespace itk_base;
  /// <summary>
  /// Summary for Form1
  ///
  /// WARNING: If you change the name of this class, you will need to change the
  /// 'Resource File Name' property for the managed resource compiler tool
  /// associated with all .resx files this class depends on. Otherwise,
  /// the designers will not be able to  interact properly with localized
  /// resources associated with this form.
  /// </summary>
  public ref class Form1 : public System::Windows::Forms::Form
  {
  public:
  Form1(void)
  {
  InitializeComponent();
  //
  //TODO: Add the constructor code here
  //
  }
  protected:
  /// <summary>
  /// Clean up any resources being used.
  /// </summary>
  ~Form1()
  {
  if (components)
  {
  delete components;
  }
  }
  private: System::Windows::Forms::Button^ button1;
  protected:
  private:
  /// <summary>
  /// Required designer variable.
  /// </summary>
  System::ComponentModel::Container ^components;
  #pragma region Windows Form Designer generated code
  /// <summary>
  /// </summary>
  void InitializeComponent(void)
  {
  this->button1 = (gcnew System::Windows::Forms::Button());
  this->SuspendLayout();
  //
  // button1
  //
  this->button1->Location = System::Drawing::Point(191, 67);
  this->button1->Name = L"button1";
  this->button1->Size = System::Drawing::Size(49, 27);
  this->button1->TabIndex = 0;
  this->button1->Text = L"button1";
  this->button1->UseVisualStyleBackColor = true;
  this->button1->Click += gcnew System::EventHandler(this, &Form1::button1_Click);
  //
  // Form1
  //
  this->AutoScaleDimensions = System::Drawing::SizeF(6, 13);
  this->AutoScaleMode = System::Windows::Forms::AutoScaleMode::Font;
  this->ClientSize = System::Drawing::Size(292, 266);
  this->Controls->Add(this->button1);
  this->Name = L"Form1";
  this->Text = L"Form1";
  this->ResumeLayout(false);
  }
  #pragma endregion
  private: System::Void button1_Click(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e) {
  itkclass::iterator();
  }
  };
  }

Mike Feur <mikefeur_02 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.  My plan is to write simple reference classes to wrap the unmanaged (itk) code.   This should work just fine for incorporating unmanaged C++ code.  For instance:

//****Managed wrapper class*****
public ref class  MikeWrapper
    {
    public:
        MikeWrapper(Int32 initial);
        void PrintValue();
    private:
        MikeClass<int> *pMike;

//**Unmanaged C++ class****
template<typename T>
    class MikeClass
    {
    public:
        MikeClass(T  value) {
            myvec.push_back(value);
        }
        void PrintValue(){
            std::cout<< myvec[0] << std::endl;
        }

    private:
        std::vector<T>  myvec;
    };

//********************

  At this point, the GUI can be written in a CLR language ( (C++/CLI, C#) and just access the wrapper class.

My tripping point is the compiler settings. The header for the unmanaged class  calls itkImage.h and thus needs to have the correct ITK compiler settings, include directories and libraries.  I can't use CMake unfortunately because it only sets up normal unmanaged C++ projects. John Biddiscombe posted some tips back in 2004 on how to do this in this list, but I can't seem to make it work.

Thanks for reading again.

Thomas Lambertz <thomas at hexerei-software.de> wrote:   Hello Mike,

the difference between C++/CLI and conventional unmanaged C++ is much
more than only a compilerstep. For example there are no raw-pointer  in
CLI and there are many other types that have changed. So it doesnt work
to set up a project for CLI by only changing some parameters in CMake.
>From my point of view there´s no way to compile ITK as CLI without
rewriting nearly the complete code (but i am prepared to learn).
Resulting performance may be another contraindication.

Have you considered a mixedmode application ? I have approached it that
way. My GUI runs as a CLI-app while access to ITK is encapsulated in an
unmanaged DLL (you have to spent some attention on memory-management).
Needs some work on a wrapper but the benefits of the new gui-handling
may pay of for you.

Statically linking the (conventional) ITK library against a mixedmode
application by using "#pragma (un)managed" and some marshalling may also
work.I am sure there are more suitable solutions...

Regards,
Tom

http://mail.yahoo.com