[Insight-users] Re: Resizing an Image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Apr 28 10:53:16 EDT 2006

Hi Balaji,

Resizing an image is equivalent to resampling. We prefer the term
"resampling" because it makes clearer the distinction between working
in the pixel space of the image or in the physical space of the
objects that are captured in the image.

You will find detailed instructions on how to resample images in
the ITK Software Guide:

         http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In section 6.9.4, "Resample Image Filter", pdf page 254-285.

In your case you will need simply an IdentityTransform, and a change
on the Spacing of the image grid and the size of the Grid. Note that
you *DON'T* need scaling transform, because your object in physical
space are still the same, regardless of the resolution of the pixels
that you use for your image. When you "resize" an image you are only
changing the sampling grid.

If you are just subsampling your image, you may find
useful to the itkShrinkImageFilter,

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ShrinkImageFilter.html

as an alternative option to the ResampleImageFilter.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ResampleImageFilter.html