[Insight-users] Re: General Deformable Registration Question

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Aug 3 17:22:50 EDT 2006

Hi Kevin

Deformable registration method in ITK are not as unified as the
basic registration framework. Most of them have parameters that
you can play with, but don't have interchangeable components
as the basic framework does.

You have two main options:

1) Explore variations of values in the parameters that are
    exposed in the API of the deformable methods.

2) Make fundamental changes in the algorithm implemented in
    ITK. This is probably more interesting but it is also more
    challenging and will require you to become familiar with
    the theory behind the method, and the source code of the
    ITK implementation.

The things that you could change depend a lot on the specific
deformable registration method that you choose.

The main options at this point are:

1) FEM based deformable registration
2) DEMONS deformable registration (a variation of PDEs)
3) BSplines deformable registration (in the registration framework)
4) LevelSet deformable registration

I guess the right way of presenting your question is to
first explore what your actual application is. What are
the constrains of your application, what are the challenges,...
and from that, you could select the methods in ITK that are
better suited to your problem, and evaluate variation that
will make them more appropriate to fit into your constrains.