[Insight-users] connect my own similarity measure and ITK optimization?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 7 11:55:01 EDT 2006

Hi Heartfelt

The ITK registration framework was designed to
permit the easy replacement of components.

You simply need to write your own Image Metric,
make it derive from the ImageToImageMetric<> class:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ImageToImageMetric.html

and implement the GetValue() method.

You can optionally implement the GetDerivative() and
GetValueAndDerivative() if you anticipate to use your
metric with optimizers that are based on derivatives,
such as the GradientDescent optimizers.

You may want to take a look at the code of current
metrics, such as the

   MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric

or the

   CardinalityMatchImageToImageMetric

Once you define your own metric, you simply connect
it to the RegistrationMethod as it is shown in the
many examples in the ITK Software Guide

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

and their associated source code examples in

      Insight/Examples/Registration