[Insight-users] Failed to allocate memory in filtering an image by Canny

Yan Yang y.yang at anglia.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 16:11:15 EDT 2006

Dear All,

I got a memory allocation problem, please see the copied error message below. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me solve this problem.

My data:
Dimension: 512x512x277
Pixel Type: signed short

Operation: Generate the edge map of the input image using CannyEdgeDetectionImageFilter

Code snippet:
CastToReal->SetInput( inputImage );
cannyFilter->SetInput( CastToReal->GetOutput() );
cannyFilter->SetVariance( 0.5 );
cannyFilter->SetLowerThreshold( 255 );
cannyFilter->SetUpperThreshold( 90 );
cannyFilter->Update();

rescaleToChar->SetOutputMinimum( NumericTraits< CharPixelType >::min() );
rescaleToChar->SetOutputMaximum( NumericTraits< CharPixelType >::max() );
rescaleToChar->SetInput( cannyFilter->GetOutput() );
rescaleToChar->Update();

An error occured at runing the line "rescaleToChar->Update();", the error message is as the following.

itk::ExceptionObject (0138F9D8)
Location: "ImportImageContainer::AllocateElements"
File: C:\Librabries\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Common\itkImp
ortImageContainer.txx
Line: 186

Caught an ITK exception at executing registration app.

itk::ExceptionObject (0138F9D8)
Location: "ImportImageContainer::AllocateElements"
File: C:\Librabries\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\InsightToolkit-2.4.1\Code\Common\itkImp
ortImageContainer.txx
Line: 186

Many thanks in advance.

Yan