[Insight-users] Image or Mesh to Tubes

Chris McIntosh cmcintos.sfu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:09:52 EDT 2006

 Hello Kevin,

What would it take to get an organism to live inside a mesh or stream
it's image data

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean here by "live inside the mesh" or by
"stream it's image data".

What would it take to make an organism produce tube
spatial objects instead of meshes?

The framework is designed such that layers are interchangeable provided
they meet the design functionality of the abstract base class. In the case
of the geometric layer the requirements listed as pure virtual functions in:

http://www.sfu.ca/~cmcintos/IDO/doxygen/html/classmial_1_1_geometric.html#_details<http://www.sfu.ca/%7Ecmcintos/IDO/doxygen/html/classmial_1_1_geometric.html#_details>

Mainly, aside from some house cleaning functionality it needs to have a set
of connected nodes (in this case the medial axis of the tubes), the ability
to generate a binary image (denoting which pixels lie inside/outside) and
the ability to initialize an organism from a binary image. So you could use
the tubespatialobject for the geometric layer of the organism.

Also please note, you only need to meet this requirements if you want 100%
compatibility with
the existing framework. So for example, being able to deform with both the
physEuler and levelSetLayer
physics layers, run all existing behaviors, deformations, sensors, etc.

This was the main idea behind the framework. Being able to replace modules
with ones
that extend current functionality but maintain compatibility, but also
giving the freedom to break
apart from existing functionality with minimal cost.