[Insight-users] fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vnl/vnl_vector_ref.h': No such file or directory

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 9 18:56:40 EDT 2006

Hi Sundeep,

You shouldn't need to provide any path to include files.

CMake should take care of all these anoying details for you.
That's what is so great about CMake.

If you are having to type any path (different from the path
to the binary dir where you built ITK) then you are not
running correctly the configuration for the HelloWorld example.

About the DLL, this is a common problem for ALL windows DLLs,
the solutions are:

1) Add the directory where you have the ITK DLLs to the PATH

or

2) Copy the DLL to the same directory of your executable
    HelloWorld,

Solution (1) is described in detail in the ITK Wiki FAQ
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ#How_to_set_Windows_DLL.27s_on_the_Path

But, what I will strongly suggest you is to build ITK with
Static libraries.  Given that ITK being almost all templated,
you don't gain much by building shared libraries.

Probably the only reason for building ITK as a set shared
libraries is when you want to use wrapping for Tcl, Python
or Java.

So, to put it short, follow the instructions in the tutorials
and in the software guide and build ITK with Examples disabled,
Testing disabled, and Shared libraries disabled.

Since you already build ITK, you probably want to destroy the
current ITK binary dir before you rebuild it with the new
configuration.