[Insight-users] no. of iterations in 3D registration...

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Aug 10 12:39:45 EDT 2006

Hi Shahab,

As long as you set up the optimizer to minimize, the metric should
never increase for more than one consecutive iteration. That is,
the metric can increase, but then it should decrease in the next
iteration.

There is a very very small chance that a metric can increase in
two consecutive iterations, but it requires a convoluted configuration
of the cost function.

Can you post a plot of the metric values versus iteration number,
just as it is done in the ITK Software Guide examples ?

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

How many iterations to use depends on what kind of optimizer you
are using and how large you define the step length (or its equivalent).

You may want to look at the tutorial on image registration:

at

       http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

more specifically at

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/RegistrationMethodsOverview.pdf

The effect and step length versus number of iterations is also
discussed in the Image Registration chapter of the Software Guide.

Regards

    Luis