[Insight-users] 3 image registration

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Wed Aug 16 13:46:58 EDT 2006

Niels:

This is a bit of a shot in the dark since I am not really using the ITK
registration classes myself, but as a first "hack" you could try
optimizing the sum of the mutual information measures computed
independently for US-MR1 and US-MR2. My guess (again, shot, dark, etc.)
is that you may have to construct some sort of wrapper class that
pretends to the optimizer that it is a simple image-to-image similarity
measure, but internally computes two (or more) similarities and sums them.

As for a more general, true multi-dimensional MI, that's very much open
research, and people still debate what the best way is to formulate MI
(or rather: a good registration metric analogous to MI) for more than
two images. Then, there is the additional implementation issue for
entropy computation, which is that higher-dimensional histograms are
increasingly difficult to populate with samples, and computation of the
necessary entropies gets complicated. There are ways to use vector hash
tables instead of actual histograms for representation, or minimal
spanning tree algorithms for entropy computation in high-dimensional
spaces, but to the best of my knowledge, none of this is currently in
ITK. (I'd gladly be corrected here by someone else who may know better
of course). Also, I have yet to see any of these actually working
reliably and efficiently.

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"