[Insight-users] DeformableModelSimplexMesh

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Aug 24 08:44:12 EDT 2006

Hi Alex,

What you are undertaking is a very interesting effort.

We will be happy to assist you in the coding of these new Mesh
classes.  Please note that ITK has a backward compatibility
policy that states that we will keep in the toolkit classes
that have been made available in any previous release.

To be consistent with these policy, when we add new classes
that may be replacement for existing classes, we still keep
the original ones in the toolkit. That means that instead
of modifying the code of the deformable filters, what we
would like to do is to add new versions that are appropriate
for your new Mesh structure. In this way, both the old filter
and the new filters will be available to users.

You probably noticed that this approach was already used for
the Simplex mesh. The original deformable model filter was
written for the itkMesh, and when Thomas Boettger kindly
contributed the Simplex mesh to the toolkit, he also provided
a customized version of the Deformable Model algorithm, that
was adapted to work with the Simplex mesh.

Do you have a design for these classes ?

We will be very interested in looking at the hierarchy
that you are planning to implement.

One resource that you could use is to add a page in the ITK
Wiki (anybody has write access to it) describing the details
of your design and implementation.  We do this for any major
modification to the toolkit.

The page were you can add this proposal is:

  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Oversight_Committee#Proposals

Also, since you are planning to contribute code to the
toolkit, we should probably move this discussion to the
developers list. You can subscribe to the list at the
following link:

You are also welcome to joing the weekly phone conferences
that are held on Fridays at 1:00pm EST. You will find
information about this at:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Telephone_Conference_Agendas_and_Minutes

Please let us know if you have any questions,