[Insight-users] Re: Possible bugs in vnl and fftw wrappers

Brian Eastwood beastwoo at cs.unc.edu
Thu Aug 31 12:42:56 EDT 2006

Sorry I didn't catch this message earlier--I have recently been working
with the fftw Fourier transform implementation.  I believe that when the
fftw wrapper returns an image of half the size (for real-to-complex),
this is completely intentional.  This is because the "other half" of the
image is made up of the complex conjugates of the Fourier coefficients
from the returned half.  (After all, the DFT can't create more data than
you give it.)  The term for this is Hermitian symmetry.  More details
are in the fftw documentation.

Similarly, for the complex-to-real transform, fftw expects that a caller
will provide half of a Hermitian symmetric data set--this is a
requirement for the result to be purely real.

(n.b.: the Matlab implementation (which is fftw under the covers) takes
care of rescaling your data for you, while the pure fftw libraries (and
hence itk implementation) don't.)

I'm writing an itk::FFTWComplexToComplexImageFilter, because I have need
for computing the Fourier transform on non-Hermitian symmetric complex
data.  One could obtain the full complex result for a DFT of a real
image by first converting the input real-valued image to a complex image
(with all zero imaginary components) and using this filter.  I was
planning to submit the filter to ITK after I have tested it.  (I'm also
writing a filter to convert real-valued images to complex images.)

Incidentally, I am using the fftw wrappers as I noticed the same
problems with the vnl wrappers you did--two forward transforms do not
return the original image.

Cheers,
Brian Eastwood