[Insight-users] why does itk 2.x require g++ 3.4 and greater ?

Nils H. Busch nilsb at cbs.mpg.de
Sat Jan 7 10:37:26 EST 2006

Hi,

can someone tell (i should say remind) me why the newer ITK versions
require g++ 3.4 and higher ?

I have built itk 2.4.1 on debian sarge with g++ 3.4, but when trying to
run some applications making use of both vtk, fltk and itk, they sometimes
tend to segfault due to memory deallocation problems. This seems to be the
result of having both libstdc++6 (used by g++ 3.4) and libstdc++5 (used by
g++ 3.3) dynamically linked in.

I have been rebuilding the vtk debian package with g++ 3.4 in the hope the
mixing of these two libraries would go away, but strangely vtk still pulls
in libstdc++5.

I apologize for this rather platform specific question, but I am looking
currently at the least intrusive way to get ITK,VTK, FLTK applications
running on debian sarge and switching to g++ 3.3 for itk is one on my
list, that is, if it is possible. I would like to avoid upgrading to
debian testing (or even unstable), but if I neither can build itk with g++
3.3 nor
get vtk (and fltk) properly built with g++3.4, it might be the only solution.

Thanks,

--
  Nils H. Busch