[Insight-users] simultaneous mapping of two regions in the 1st image to the 2nd image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jan 13 09:53:07 EST 2006

Hi Ming,

Thanks for adding a couple of details to the
description of the problem that you are facing.

Please read the ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular the chapter on "Image Registration".

and section:  8.11.3

     "Registration using masks constructed
      with Spatial objects"

in pdf-pages 464-466.

The source code of the example is in

        Examples/
           Registration/
               ImageRegistration12.cxx

You will find that it is possible to use a binary
Mask on top of the Fixed Image, and in that way,
to restrict the computation of the Metric to use
only the pixels from the FixedImage that are under
the ON pixels in the Mask.

If you define the binary mask to have ON pixels
only on top of the two regions that you want to use
from your image, then the registration process will
be equivalent sot using just those two regions.

Note that this is not the fastest possible approach.
In particular if your fixed image is large, and the
two regions are relatively small.  If computation
time is an issue, please let us know and we could
suggest you other options.  Note that the advantage
with using the Mask is that you can do it right now
without having to modify ITK code in any way.