[Insight-users] Projection image filter ?

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Fri Jan 20 05:46:01 EST 2006

Hi,

I would like to disagree with the choice of AccumulateImageFilter to
implement those new features, for several reasons:
+ it would be painful to implement and inefficient because of the lack of
usage of functor
+ the result would be difficult to extend, once again because of functors
+ the type of the output image may be dependent of the computation done
+ the enum are not usable with wrappers
+ if I modify AccumulateImageFilter to use functors, I will break the
current API, and perhap's also the child classes of AccumulateImageFilter

The approach used in Peter's filter seems much better to me.

My thought is to make a base ProjectionImageFilter<InputImageType,
OutputImageType, Functor>, and several subclasses which provides the
functor MaximumProjectionImageFilter<InputImageType, OutputImageType>,
MinimumProjectionImageFilter<InputImageType, OutputImageType>,
MedianProjectionImageFilter<InputImageType, OutputImageType>,
SumProjectionImageFilter<InputImageType, OutputImageType>,
MeanProjectionImageFilter<InputImageType, OutputImageType>,

Please, let me now what you think about that, so I can began to implement
it in a way which makes everybody happy :-)

Gaetan

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:51:52 +0100, Karthik Krishnan
<Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com> wrote:

> Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 19 January 2006 19:02, Miller, James V (GE, Research) wrote:
>>
>>> Gaetan,
>>>
>>> AccumulateImageFilter will do this for projection along the X, Y, or Z
>>> axes.
>>>

>> Yes, I want to project the image along one of the main axis, but the
>> AccumulateImageFilter seems to be limited to the sum or the mean of all
>> pixel on the axis, while I want the maximum intensity projection :-/
>> Some other statistics parameters may also be interesting, like minimum,
>> mean, median, variance, ...
>>
>> I think projection is a quite common operation in image analysis.
>> Should I create a new filter ?
>>
> I would propose adding it to AccumulateImageFilter with enums to dictate
> appropriate operations (mean, min, MIP etc).
>

>>> If you want to project along an arbitrary axis, you could use a
>>> combination
>>> of the ResampleImageFilter and the AccumulateImageFilter.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you could use the ResampleImageFilter with a
>>> RayCastInterpolateImageFunction.
>>>
>>> Jim

Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr